Blocks spam signups by adding an invisible field to your registration and login forms, and switching its id with the real username or email form field.
When spam bots blindly fill the “required” fake field in, WP will redirect them to an error message and not let them register or login.
No 3rd party service, no intrusive captchas.
- Upload the plugin files to the /wp-content/plugins/spampot/ directory, or install the plugin through the WordPress plugins screen directly.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ screen in WordPress
- That’s it, no more configuration needed.
- Will This Stop Everything?
- This honeypot technique works against the lazy “drive by” automated spambots (ie. most of them), but will not be effective against spammers specifically targetting your site nor spammers signing up by hand.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“SpamPot” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “SpamPot” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Initial release.
- Fix for 4.5’s changed login text.
- Changed the way the honeypot field was inserted to avoid a conflict with my Custom Logins plugin.
- If the honeypot field is unable to be inserted, then the form will continue working and notify the admin by email of this failure.
- Changed the regex that matches the “normal” username field to be slightly more robust.